Author Topic: Setting up your OPS on M4OPS  (Read 3660 times)

PeterC

• Administrator
  • Passionate about my one-place study
    • View Profile
    • Holywell-cum-Needingworth History
Setting up your OPS on M4OPS
« on: 29 July 2016, 06:46:33 »
To set up your OPS on M4OPS you need to contact Peter, who will help you to set it up.

He will need to know initially:
  • the name of your study area (eg Peter's is Holywell-cum-Needingworth)
  • and, if it is not obvious from the name, where it is
It would also be useful to know, but this is optional:
  • the code to use - usually 3 upper case letters, but can be anything (eg HcN) - or Peter can allocate this
  • a contact email address - to receive any enquiries people may have about your study
  • a website address
  • any description you would like to give it - this can be any valid html including links etc
These contact details and description appear in M4OPS when you click on the name of the study top middle.

Once your One-Place Study has been set up on M4OPS you need to check on a few things. You can go to it at mapping4ops.org/M4OPS and select your OPS in the top left drop-down, but you can also go directly to it by appending ?OPS=XXX (where XXX is your short code, you include the question mark, and there are no spaces in the URL).

See Help for Users of M4OPS for some guidance on general use of M4OPS and its terminology. You can also do a self-driven demo if you want to, by clicking on the Demo button.

You will see the same few default categories and layers under Base and Overlay, and you can switch either or both of them. Note that wherever you can select a map layer (eg for the base, or the overlay) you need to select the category first and then the map you want.

It is quite possible Peter will also have added the Civil Parish Parish (CP), or Ward, as a layer. If so you can see this under Feature Layers (because this is a series of coordinates specifying a polygon - a 'feature' - rather than a pixelated, raster, image).

Can you check, and let Peter know any corrections, please:
  • that it is the correct place and name (!)
  • that the given short code is appropriate for it (this is often 3 upper case letters)
  • that the Home view for the OPS is appropriate (in technical terms this is specified by the central coordinates, zoom level and rotation, but all can be changed)
  • that you are happy with your email address that appears if you click on the “Maps for ...” subtitle, this is also the one the “Contact” button sends emails to
  • that you are happy with the website address (if any) that also appears if you click on the “Maps for ...” subtitle
  • if you want any description of the place or study to appear above the contact email address when you click on the “Maps for ...” subtitle do let Peter know – this can be anything, including pictures and other web links
  • which, if any, of the general maps should be excluded from your study (eg it is quite likley that many of the GB OS 10 mile planning maps are not relevant)
Note that these are all easy for Peter to change, at any time - and many of the way things work he can change as well.

Let Peter know when you want to add more maps or data.  There is little you can do completely without Peter's help as yet, because it is just a prototype, however we will hopefully be able to enable you to add maps and make changes in due course. In other posts there is more detail about:

You will have seen examples of diferent types of M4OPS usage if you have done the Demo, but also if you select:

HTH) Hethersett
  • the Tithe Map Feature Layer gives data about the Tithe allocations
HcN) Holywell-cum-Needingworth
  • the Local category has a few maps created from photographs
  • the OS largescale category has some 25 inch maps at various dates
  • there are several styles of Feature Layers
BRI) Bristol
Please bear in mind that the M4OPS exercise for now is as much about helping Peter to see what is useful for one-placers, as it is about one-placers using M4OPS.
« Last Edit: 9 April 2018, 10:26:26 by PeterC »

suzie

• View Profile
Re: Setting up your OPS on M4OPS
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2016, 12:52:23 »
Hi Peter, I am assuming that we need really hi-res images to make them useful - or does that make them too big to load? or too easy for others to download?  What would you say was the optimum resolution for me to scan at?  Suzie
http://www.debenhamfamilyhistory.org.uk/

PeterC

• Administrator
  • Passionate about my one-place study
    • View Profile
    • Holywell-cum-Needingworth History
Re: Setting up your OPS on M4OPS
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2016, 16:26:36 »
That is a good question, and I have no ready answer to it. When I photographed my images I just used the camera's default settings.

Bear in mind that it is easy to cut down file sizes if they are too large, and hard to improve low-res images. So I would err on the side of higher resolution than lower. We shall need to experiment.
Peter