Author Topic: Using the map as a recursive research tool  (Read 4433 times)

sunnylew

• View Profile
Using the map as a recursive research tool
« on: 20 January 2017, 11:05:49 »
I couldn't really think of a better way of describing it in a short title, but what I would love is the ability to use the information uploaded in the map when I am gathering further information to later be uploaded.

For example, if I read a newspaper report about an incident that happened in the "house next to William Henry's House", I would love to be able to look at the map, right click (for example) on the house next to William Henry's House, and automatically have copied the Location ID to my clipboard for adding to my research file.

That way, the next time I update the data in the file online, the new event will be associated with the correct Location ID.

Concievably, it might be possible to have a menu where you can choose what a right click copies - Land Owner, Land use, Occupier, Area, etc.

PeterC

• Administrator
  • Passionate about my one-place study
    • View Profile
    • Holywell-cum-Needingworth History
Re: Using the map as a recursive research tool
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2017, 11:41:23 »
I can think of a fairly easy way of doing that in M4OPS. I will have a think and a play and come back to you.

sunnylew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2017, 11:41:35 »
Thanks Peter. That's great news.

I've been trying to figure out how to webscrape my own maps in a browser within Filemaker (my database program) and it has been one too many things to try to teach myself for the moment.

I think it will come in handy for anyone seeking to match records with locations - e.g. figuring out which poor rate is for which property.

PeterC

• Administrator
  • Passionate about my one-place study
    • View Profile
    • Holywell-cum-Needingworth History
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2017, 15:03:00 »
Hi Lewis,
I have made a small change to M4OPS to do something like you asked for.

If you go to this screen of M4OPS you should see all the (point) features I have told it about so far for my own OPS (Holywell-cum-Needingworth), and each of these was specified with a Feature id. You will also see that the drop-down that tells M4OPS to do when you click (top left) has been set to 'Feature id'.

Now when you hover over a feature (or features) you see any details it knows about, as usual. The new thing is that when you click you get the Featureids and can copy them.

Rather than doing any refining of this at present, can we revisit it when we have got more of your study implemented in M4OPS, and we can adapt it so that it is more exactly what you find useful?

(By the way I have opened a new Board called Using M4OPS for specific OPS, as a place for future discussions relating to implementing your (and others') study. However feel free to post wherever you feel appropriate.)
« Last Edit: 22 January 2017, 15:05:36 by PeterC »

sunnylew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2017, 04:59:31 »
Thanks Peter,

I've continued the discussion about this in your new forum here:

http://mapping4ops.org/using-m4ops-for-specific-ops/hethersett-ops-using-ops-as-a-recursive-research-tool/