Author Topic: How existing one-place study websites use maps  (Read 4792 times)

PeterC

• Administrator
  • Passionate about my one-place study
    • View Profile
    • Holywell-cum-Needingworth History
How existing one-place study websites use maps
« on: 22 January 2016, 09:57:07 »
Attached to this post is a summarised list of how some existing one-place study websites use maps, as found by PeterC at a particular point of time. Feel free to comment on, or add to, this list in replies or new topics; and I will try to keep it updated.

The studies have included various ways of displaying maps, and those of particular interest are listed below (with links to some examples):

A) The simplest way that one-placers have included maps is just to mention where to find them, or to link to another website where they can be found.

B) The most common way that one-placers have displayed maps is to include images of them on a website. This is more complex than it may seem, because different website have implemented different actions when the images are clicked on. These click actions can be:
  • no action - the only way you can examine the image in detail is by enlarging the webpage itself (eg using Ctrl/+ or Zoom)
  • open a lightbox version of the image (Chipping Sodbury, Springhill, Walnut Tree Close, Guildford)
  • open the same image in a new browser window - again with this image the only way you can examine the image in detail is by zooming
  • open an enlarged version of the image in a new browser window - depending on the browser you may then be able to scroll round the image, and zoom, in a limited way (Badsey, West Lulworth - pdf)
  • open an enlarged version of the image in some form of zooming software - this gives you complete control over moving around and zooming the image (Holywell-cum-Needingworth)
  • open a different site that contains the map, with varying options (Bredevoort)
  • on hover see an enlarged version - like MagicZoom (Pocklington)
C) An enhancement to this is to show groups of maps, each of which can be clicked on in one of the above ways:
D) Another simple, but useful, way that one-placers have used is as comparative maps - two or more georeferenced maps side by side or layered so that eg you can see how a street changed over time
  • One example is a book prepared by (crudely) georeferencing the 25 inch OS maps of the village to show how each street changed over time (Holywell-cum-Needingworth)
E) Another useful way that one-placers have displayed maps is with annotations (either on the map or beside it, and where the annotations may themselves be links)
F) Some one-place studies have developed hotspot maps, with the hotspot actions being one of:
In terms of technology for hotspot maps:G) Some one-place studies have displayed statistical maps eg with numbers, colours or shading showing how some factor varies

There are a number of one-place studies where various types of map are displayed in various styles (Chrich, San Fele)
« Last Edit: 2 March 2016, 19:52:51 by PeterC »

peterw16

• View Profile
Re: How existing one-place study websites use maps
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2016, 16:46:05 »
Gloucester Road Bishopton, and Farndon are both using maps that I would like to develop for my own (Herne Bay) site.
I am currently populating a My Google Earth map, but being a crowded seaside town, it already looks very crowded with pins and house names, etc. Having a hover, or hand pointing to a point on the map, then taking you to a separate page with the information on it, looks like a great way of getting (potentially) a good deal of information into a tiny point. ;)

Alex

• View Profile
    • Wing One-Place Study
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2016, 18:11:52 »
I have an annotated hotspot map of the farms of my place created in Google Maps (in context at http://wing-ops.org.uk/explorations/industries/farming/ - I don't think you spotted this map on your websites review). It would be ideal to be able to add extra layers to this so I could use/maintain just one map for the website but still be able to display only the most relevant information when incorporating that map into a topic page, otherwise it will be far too crowded as Peter W has found! I would have liked to have used the aerial view of Google Maps, which I did with my mills map at http://wing-ops.org.uk/explorations/industries/milling/, but unless you only have a few pins/pieces of info to display I found the aerial view just added to the crowded look.

kenedy

« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2016, 17:42:15 »
It was good post you shared here.well done.....