Author Topic: Global Mapper product information  (Read 4415 times)

PeterC

• Administrator
  • Passionate about my one-place study
    • View Profile
    • Holywell-cum-Needingworth History
Global Mapper product information
« on: 10 February 2016, 06:56:08 »
Global Mapper is from Blue Marble Geographics.

Chris E

• Mapping enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Innovation Mapping Ltd
Re: Global Mapper product information
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2016, 20:37:45 »
This is a great piece of software. It is not free, but it certainly does not cost '000s of pounds (or dollars) to purchase a license like some GIS software packages do. I have used this for a number of years now and it has a couple of really useful features in the context of O-P-S. Firstly it will import and read almost any GIS data format, which of course makes it very flexible. Once you have a created a map that you are happy with it has an 'export to web' feature, where it will generate a mini web map of your data (against a Google Maps backdrop for example). This can then be incorporated into a web page relatively easily. The support forum is excellent too. This may sound like I work for their sales team - certainly not the case, just providing due credit for good software.  :)

PeterC

• Administrator
  • Passionate about my one-place study
    • View Profile
    • Holywell-cum-Needingworth History
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2016, 07:50:49 »
Hi Chris, Thanks for this first-hand experience. Looking at their website I understand that Global Mapper would cost $499 for a single installation, plus another $499 if you wanted the LIDAR aspect?
Peter

Chris E

• Mapping enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Innovation Mapping Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2016, 09:02:47 »

Ah - ok - their prices have gone up a bit since I last looked!  :-[
With the weak pound at the moment now is probably not the best time to purchase either.
It's fair to say that Globalmapper does a lot of other things too, much more than what an entry-level mapping enthusiast would need, but certainly worth keeping in mind if you are regularly creating a lot of mapped outputs